Register today and save 5%
Course modules will pause after Friday, December 23, 2022, and resume on Monday, January 2, 2023. Enjoy the holiday break!
About the Course
Our eight-week Machine Learning for Finance course focuses on collecting, organizing, and using data to perform advanced financial analysis with algorithms and statistical techniques and tools. During the course, you will have an opportunity to work through real-life case studies and examples giving you an opportunity to practically apply the theory you will learn to financial models.
You Will Learn To:
- Review statistics and probability to apply to finance
- Understand what linear regression is and when to use it, as well as how to apply linear regression metrics to a model
- Make models more rigorous by adding things like train/test split and cross-validation
- Backtest a model and understand why this is particularly important for finance
- Use simulation to solve a portfolio allocation problem
- Converse at a high level about several advanced topics in financial machine learning
You Will Be Able To:
- Understand and review statistics and probability
- Perform Exploratory Data Analysis in Python/Pandas
- Monitor a model for performance
- Define risk in finance
Meet Your Instructor
Lara Kattan is a data science educator and curriculum writer. She is currently developing curriculum for institutions such as the University of Chicago and data science learning startups. Prior to embarking on a career in curriculum development, she was a consultant in risk practice at McKinsey & Co. She has an MA in public policy with a concentration in econometrics from the University of Chicago and a BA in economics and political science from Northwestern. Kattan is a lifelong learner and is pursuing an MA in computer science and another in mathematics from DePaul University.
Do you have questions?
The University of Chicago Approach to Online Learning
Our online learning programs are crafted with your specific needs in mind. Programs combine e-learning with live, interactive sessions to strengthen your skill set while maximizing your time. We couple academic theory and business knowledge with practical, real-world application. Through online learning sessions, you will have an opportunity to grow your professional network and interact with University of Chicago instructors and your classmates.